What is it?
Loyalty: commitment, faithfulness, devotion
When does loyalty go too far?
- When you’re committed to the wrong things
- When your relationship is unhealthy
- When YOU are in an unhealthy state
When are you committed to the wrong things?
- what they can buy and/or provide for you is more important
- perceptions of others- more concerned about what others think
- approval of others- more concerned about family/friend approval
Loyalty to things or people more than your partner is NOT GOOD- make sure you are loyal for the right reasons
You said you would never leave…
When is it OK to let go of an unhealthy relationship?
- Don’t give respect
- Don’t care about your feelings
- Aren’t committed
- Make you feel unsafe
- Manipulate and deceive
- Don’t value you as a partner
- Abuse and/or misuse you
- Abandon or neglect you
Loyalty is important in relationships- YOU are important as well
- Don’t commit to someone who is not committed to you
- Don’t commit to someone who is hurting you more than they are loving you
Don’t get me wrong, loyalty is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT in relationships. But If you find yourself sacrificing your happiness or confused about where you stand in your relationship- seek counseling.